Sunday, February 1, 2015

It's Cold in Calgary

I've finished up a great visit with Margo (Steve's sister) and Doug.  They reminded me about my earlier comment about Calgary, but it's hard to change my mind about a city where you need to endure -28 degrees with a wind chill.  I'll admit, I didn't pack a coat warm enough for this temperature so I gladly took Margo's offer to borrow a jacket.  It's a sprawling city, so huge and spreading without any natural boundaries to contain it.  That's really apparent from the air, where it's a suburbia as far as the eye can see.  


I asked them if we could do a little shopping to buy a camera accessory that I can upload my camera pics via wifi to my iPad that my colleague Amanda suggested I get.  I had been thinking of this gadget for a while, so that I could add pictures to this blog.  While I was in the air, they phoned around and got a store to put one on hold for me.  And no PST in Alberta, although I suspect there's renewed pressure to think about implementing one.  

We went to a CD release party for Magnolia Buckskin, an all female band of four.  Multi-instrumentalists and great harmonies.  Fun show, stage presence could use a bit of improvement, but I enjoyed the evening, particularly my bison burger with blue cheese.  

Of course they had a 1000 piece puzzle to work on and Doug and I finished it off with about an hour to spare before we left for the airport. And home made biscuits this morning.  Nummy!  

Now it's off to Toronto to meet up with Judith.  I'm scheduled to land close to midnight; Judith tells me this is good because it should be one of the few hours of the day where the 401 (the main expressway across Toronto) isn't backed up...  We'll be spending the time organizing ourselves for the big trip. I hear there's a big snow storm happening there soon, stay tuned.  

No comments:

Post a Comment